Thursday, May 2, 2013

Poetry for Thursday and a Recipe

www.carolingrammoore.com ~ www.artisansofthegap.com www.facebook.com/CarolIngramMoore


Hummingbird

Soft spring breeze blew
as I turned the dark earth
planting ferns, wildflowers, herbs
settling roots
standing still before going inside
covered somewhat in dirt
wearing red Episcopal cotton shirt
I looked out at the mountains
taking an ahhhh breath
a male hummingbird flew
right into my face
not knowing who was more surprised
he hovered
flying away
to feed on the sugar water


Recipe for hummingbird food
4 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
Stir
Boil
Let cool
Put into hummingbird feeders.
Leftovers go into the refrigerator.

Imagine my surprise when I went to the front door  a few minutes ago and a ruby throated male hummingbird was at the door. We simply looked at each other as in the poem I had written earlier. I thought, the door is painted red, but then hummingbirds are curious little creatures. He fluttered in place and then flew away.
Nothing quite like a hummingbird encounter to make your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment