Thursday, October 2, 2014

Altering a Book


www.carolingrammoore.com ~ www.artisansofthegap.com www.facebook.com/CarolIngramMoore
 Yesterday I had a follow up appointment to see a medical professional. The first visit I waited an hour to be seen. I was prepared. I took a book with me I had gotten from the library and began folding the pages. The result is this altered book.
     Three folds in sequence created this book. I learned these folds from an article by Jane Asper in the October 2007  issue of Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion magazine.

                                              There were 302 pages in this book.
 Find a book. I use hardback books purchased used.
                                       The first fold is folding toward the center of the book. Four folds..
 The second fold is made by folding the page in half for four pages.Repeat until you come to the center of the book.
 In the center fold the page in half and then half of that. There are a lot of center folds and you might want to do a bit of math before you begin this project. Fold 3 do 8 times, Fold 2 four times, Fold 1 four times. Fold 2 four times. Fold 1 four times. Fold 2 four times. Fold 3 15 times. Fold 2 four times. Fold 1 four times. Fold 2 four times. Fold 1 four times. Fold 3 eight times. Then go back to the way you started. Fold 2 four times. Fold 1 four times until the end of the book.
 Another book with three folds that I sprayed with food coloring. Be careful when you do this as I diluted the food coloring with water and sprayed inside a book. Food coloring will stain wood. You can also use any kind of  mist or spray. This one was a nice color.

 To create this book, you use two of the folds in the first book. The first fold is folding the page in half and then fold the pages as shown above. The triangles look like sails on a ship.
Repeat this pattern until the end of the book. I leave the end covers of the book without folds.
If you have an appointment and you know you will be waiting for awhile, take along a used book and create your own altered book. Make up your own folds or cut the pages. Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment