Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hummingbirds and Friends

 Ray has told me that you can take photos of hummingbirds if you stand still. I filled the feeders for, I think, the third time yesterday and stood next to the large hanging begonia plant. I had the camera ready. It took only a few seconds for the first hummer to arrive. I began to take a few photos. Soon, they took no notice of me at all. Three female ruby throated hummers feeding from the feeder with six slots.
The goldfinch at the bird feeder was a nice surprise when I looked through the camera lens. The cage is actually Ray's unique way to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeder. They are unable to get through the wire and they have tried. The humming bird feeder is on an umbrella stand with a large pole and rebar to hang the feeder.
Here's my recipe for hummingbird food during the swarming of hummers season.
Two cups of sugar
Eight cups of water
Boil until you have a sugar syrup.
Let it cool.
I keep a pitcher of the syrup in the refrigerator.
Lately, I have been making a batch of this each day. It is amazing to see these beautiful little birds flying all around the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment