Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lampwork Bead Class at William Holland

I have just returned home from a week of learning how to make lampwork beads. Ann Royer taught the class at William Holland School of Lapidary Arts in Young Harris, Georgia. The green bead is my creative way of making an organic bead. 

Ann would do demonstrations of how to make beads. We then, turned on the flame and started the torch. I admit, I was the student who was constantly saying, Ann. She was so patient and always provided assistance. There were five of us in the week long class. Two beginners, I was one. Three intermediate glass beaders. Now, these women made penguins with light sabers!

These are my green stems and leaves and little dots for flowers. 
 This has to be the hardest bead I make the entire week. It is an inclusion. It took me seven tries before I was able to do this. It starts with a rod of clear glass that you continue making circles. Then, you add tiny dots on the inside of the circles with the dots going around the circles. On the outside of the circle, you add green for petals. Then you turn the mandrel into the flame at a 45 degree angle and let it heat up. As it heats up, the circle encloses upon itself. Mine was the smallest and was the quickest implosion.
 This fish was made to sit on top of a bracelet. Notice the red smiling lips, that sweet angle took cutting with a dental tool. Thank you Ann for helping with the fins.
This pretty little bead was first a white bead then sprinkled with enamel and put into the flame. Then, it was rolled into frit, which is the glitter of the glass world, and put into the flame. All glass used for the class was 106 COE. An amazing week at William Holland and I will be going back for a week of cold connections with enameling.

No comments:

Post a Comment