Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial DayLily

I have a fondness for flowers. My grandmother traveled across the country collecting stones and rocks everywhere she went. My grandfather driving. They would drive their Chevrolet up Catapala Hill. Admiring the roses one red one yellow as they made their way home. Unloading her treasures, she would lay them out creating borders for her many flower gardens. As a child, I would look at the hyacinths wondering about faeries drinking dew from this small cup. My grandfather would have us pick large catapala leaves for him to make faery costumes for us. He told us faery story after faery story. Easy to believe in this magic around gardens and an orchard.
My father also had a fondness for roses. My mother prefered the magnolia blossoms picked to adorn a bowl. Me, a hodgepodge of everything. Though I do admit to two favorites daffodils and daylilies, well lilacs and butterfly bushes and now that I think about it perrenials and herbs.
We have only lived in our home for less than two years. I planted this daylily last year. She has raindrops in her cup and my shadow across her face. Her sisters are scattered throughout the yard enjoying their moments in the mountains.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment